Career Fairs are an amazing opportunity to network with potential employers. Prepare yourself for the next career fair with these 10 tips.
1) Register in advance
Register online through the Wright Search for the Career Fair.
2) Make a list of companies you’re most interested in
Make a list of 8 to 10 companies you are most interested in. You won’t have time to reach every table!
3) Do your research!
Research the companies beforehand that you are interested in working for.
4) 30-second pitch
Prepare and PRACTICE a 30 second “elevator pitch” for employers at the Career Fair. This should include your name, major, year, goals, ambitions, and what kind of job/position you are looking for. Think of a situation of being in an elevator with a stranger and having to tell them about yourself in about 30 seconds.
5) Dress business professional
Hair cut well and freshly brushed, no visible tattoos or body piercings.
Men: dark suit, light dress shirt, conservative tie, shiny shoes.
Women: pantsuit or suit with a knee-length skirt, plain stockings, and close-toed shoes that are conservative, pumps or low heels. Pair your suit with a crew neck or buttoned-up blouse.
Bring your Wright1 Card or have your UID available for the Check-In Station.
7) Last minute check
Review Career Fair employer table map in the candidate review room.
Practice 30-second pitch one last time.
8) Be confident!
Employers were in your position once. It is okay to be nervous, but try to speak confidently and highlight your attributes.
9) In-action practice
Visit employers that aren’t at the top of your list first. You will most likely be a bit nervous at the start. You can gain some practice on speaking confidently and practicing your 30-second pitch with employers that are not your top interests.
10) Thank you notes/ follow up
Studies show that fewer than 5% of candidates follow up after a Career Fair. By sending a thank you note (card or email), this displays that you are going the extra mile and shows that you truly care about the potential of getting a job with that company.
Fall Fest is Friday, August 29, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and we have 10 reasons why you should be there!
1. Get to know the student orgs on campus.
2. You’ll get a TON of free Wright State swag.
3. We always have a great time on the inflatables.
4. Zombie Dogz is finally back!
5. There’s plenty of tasty food. Yum :)
6. Hang out with your friends you haven’t seen all summer.
7. It’s happening rain or shine!
8. You might run into President Hopkins.
9. Our Social Media team is hosting a #WSUTwitterTakeover. Find our table and submit your tweet for us to send from the @wrightstate account!
10. Rowdy is always roaming around, make sure to take a selfie with him and tweet it to @RowdyWSU!